Wednesday, March 19, 2008

edel's legacy

On this day, last year, my dear friend Edel died.

And, as I sat for my morning ritual, I wondered why they had to call the seat I was part of the TOILet when it is not for a job. Perhaps, the person who coined the word had to belabor severe constriction.
Calling the room comfort room is sorely inaccurate when it can't even approximate the immense satisfaction that goes with successful defecation.  I sat and waited until the gestalt moment came -- a realization of the great legacy Edel left behind.

He survived seven years of ALS when three is the norm. He clung even when others who dearly loved him wished he would pass on for his own sake.

Because he loved life. And on his first death anniversary, I ponder on his great passion for the earthiest as well as the most sublime. Those who had the fortune of knowing Edel as a friend/lover/enemy know what I am talking about.

Masarap mabuhay!!! Salamat, Edel, for that legacy.

Now I am ready. Off I go for the early morning mass, the columbary and the great breakfast to mark the death of a great lover of life!


carina in prayer
carina and dear friends
family and close friends pay respects at the columbary
breakfast at sulo
joy, marj and ted
daisy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope he's in a better place... enjoying it with a San Mig Light

Unknown said...

hi ed... wow it has been a year.. that was fast...and we still miss our dear friend.... i know we did our very best to give edel a better life during those difficult seven years. it sure was a big trial to carina and the family... yes it is over but he sure left a legacy.... for me .. he brought me closer to people who were mere acquaintances then.. ducle... happy easter